Saturday, July 01, 2006

I Am Famous

...Apparently...because all the kids want my autograph. I know this isn't anything new for those of you who have gone on mission trips before, and I had heard about this happening, but I totally wasn't expecting it. The kids were getting ready to go home and I was helping one of the boys clean up after our craft when a girl walked up behind me, shoved a notepad and pen in my face, and said "autobiography please". Well first of all, I definitely didn't have time to write my autobiography, nor do I think much interesting stuff has happened in my life that would warrant an autobiography being written. So I politely said "a what?". But she was a persistent gal, and continued to say "autobiography" until I got it through my head that she meant "autograph". That's the last thing I was expecting so that's my excuse for being so dense. After her I was swarmed with kids for the next 10 minutes. I felt a bit awkward but you can't exactly refuse them, so I just wrote their name, "God Bless", and scratched out my John Hancock.

The first day I worked closely with 6 kids for a good portion of the time, with a few more on the second day. In many ways this is a perfect number, especially for the first day, so that I could give plenty of attention to each of the kids. I would love for this number to grow but if not, I pray God would work through me to leave an eternal impact on all the kids that I can. We have Sunday off, but they are expecting more by Monday so we will see. God still hasn't ceased to teach me patience. I had a bit of a scare this morning, being that it was 5 minutes past the start of VBS and my classroom was completely empty. I know I probably sound like a broken record, but this isrecurringing theme, God is so faithful. First one, and then the rest of the kids poured in to the room and we got things moving.

I have been able to communicate with my kids fairly well. When my translator isn't in the room, I can still manage to get my point across. In most cases at least one of the kids will understand the harder English words and they can help me explain it to the rest. I also got a chance to put my Frisbee to good use. One of the moms was late picking up a group of the kids so I played Frisbee with 7 of the kids for a good hour after VBS. This was also an awesome opportunity because 2 of the boys are in my group and up until this point I hadn't really been able to connect with them. Although I must admit, we got some very odd looks from people walking by.

Tomorrow after Church, Sunday school, and the free English lessons that the church provides I am hoping to head up to the Carpathians, weather permitting, with Bill & Faith and the Pastors family.

To put any doubts to rest that some of you might have concerning pictures, I have taken almost 300 pictures and still have plenty of space left for the next week. Hope you have a good rest of the day, I am heading to bed pretty soon to try and catch up on sleep. Dobroji Nochi. (Good Night...Looks a bit like Spanish eh?)

This is my second post in one day, so make sure you don't forget the post about the Dubeyk Center!

Brother in Christ,
David Knepprath
1 Peter 5:9 Resist the devil, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. (I can vouch for Peter on that one)

P.S. I am still getting used to the water faucets being backwards. (Left is cold and right is hot) I have turned on the faucet and scorched my hands so many times, only to turn the handle even hotter thinking I am turning it cooler. By the time I get the hang of it I will probably be back in the States and everything will be backwards again

3 comments:

Melissa Jo said...

You are famous Eh? I bet you look like american super model or actor (in my best Russian voice) I am glad VBS is going great, I know God will use you in a mightly way and your frisbee techinques might help too :) -melissa Jo

Mirranda said...

Oo, look, a famous person! Can I have your autograph? I am glad VBS has been such a success; the kids sound sweet.
-Myrrh

p.s. On a totally unrelated topic - I have a car! :)

La Rubia said...

Cool to hear that VBS is going well. Just a little heads up, I probably won't be able to respond to very many posts next week because I'll be busy all day with camp.

Mary