Monday, July 31, 2006

An Inconsistent Truth

"An Inconvenient Truth", a film about global warming featuring Al Gore doing the "truth" telling, is heralded as being "illuminating", "insightful", and "impactful" (Check out Rotten Tomotoes to see the reviews for yourself. I couldn't of come up with words that inspiring!).

In the movie, Al Gore makes a point to show on a graph that Toyota and Honda are doing much better in the automarket than General Motors (GM) and Ford. His reasoning for these gains are that Toyota and Honda are the leading automakers in reducing harmful environmental emissions. He overlooks the fact that throughout the 80's and early 90's Toyota and Honda made revolutionary gains in quality and reliability, while GM and Ford had become complacent. (On a side note, notice I am speaking in past tense. Toyota has recalled over 1 million vehicles in the last 2 weeks, and 2.5 million since January.) He fails to mention the fact that Toyota and Honda can produce each car up to $5,000 cheaper because of labor costs that GM and Ford are locked into as a result of the unions (this cost difference allows for a cheaper competitive product and frees up more cash flow for product development). And Toyota's and Honda's gains couldn't have been as a result of their products being more in tune with consumers tastes and trends.

Question.

How can I trust the rest of the "informative and insightful" information found in the movie, when a topic that I am well informed on, being the auto industry, the truth is so blatantly skewed? Maybe a better title for the film would have been "An Inconsistent Truth" or "An Incoherent Truth". After hearing how much he twists the facts with the auto industry, I would be weary about trusting the rest of the film blindly. Just something to think about. Besides, I am weary about trusting any information from a man who claims to have invented the internet. ;)

Challenge it. Pursue the opposing view points. Come away from it with your own opinions.

The problem is, Americans are to lazy and unmotivated to do such a thing. Project something flashy on a big screen, give us a comfy chair with cup holders, plop a tub of greasy popcorn on our laps, give us some Skittles, and you can teach us anything. (No matter how skewed the facts are.)

Example: It takes a movie to make us realize that fast food makes us fat. Wow. How enlightening, or should I say "illuminating".

David Knepprath

Disclaimer: I am not choosing sides on the Global Warming debate. I have not looked into it enough to support the debate one way or the other. But it was not my intent to dispute Global Warming. My desire was to stress the importance of finding things out for yourself and arriving to your own conclusions, not some one else's.

7 comments:

Mirranda said...

This is brilliantly illuminating, epitomizing the informative blog! Ascending beyond the discordant cacophony of random ramblings, this shows great progression and near-perfection.

Admittedly, I got slightly carried away with that - It was just so much fun! - but your blog was extremely interesting.

David Knepprath said...

HA! BRILLIANT! I love all the big words. Thanks Mirranda.

Robert Clifton said...

lol, when i first looked at this I was very surprised.. And then one word tipped me off to the real message of this... Toyota. That is defiantly more you.

David Knepprath said...

What do you mean Rob? Did I criticize Toyota? I thought I was fairly non-biased in my approach of setting the facts, because criticizing Toyota was definitely not my intent. I could if you wanted me to... :) But that’s a matter for another post.

Robert Clifton said...

No its not specifically toyota, its the auto industry in general

David Knepprath said...

Oh, well ya... of course Rob. :)

Anonymous said...

You are definately very correct about making your own informed opinions. So many movies are being produced these days that the general public takes as ultimate truth. If a movie is made about it, it must be correct, right? :)