Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Lady in The Water

Lady in The Water: Written, Produced, Directed, and Starring M. Night Shyamalan (left). The later role is an unexpected surprise for any Shyamalan fan, being that he has a tradition of playing a very short cameo role in all of his movies. Another trait of Shyamalan is to carry over actors from his previous movies. In this case, it is the very talented Bryce Dallas Howard. Paul Giamatti (right) was also cast perfectly for his role, he pulls off an excellent studder. Following the success of Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, and The Village, Shyamalan does not let down.

I know the critics have been giving it less then stellar reviews, but hear me out and I will explain why. I believe there is a bit of a feud going on between Shyamalan and the movie critics. First of all, the critics hated The Village, a movie which was in contrast embraced by many movie goers. As a payback of sorts, Shyamalan included a movie critic character in his latest masterpiece. The movie critic continually bears the brunt of comic relief, comic relief that is suprisingly dominate in contrast to his earlier films, and portrays him in far from a positive light. Shyamalan unabashedly rips apart the movie critic for his snobby, pretentious, know-it-all character, thereby swinging a few very entertaining jabs at movie critics the world over.

The "interrupter" deciphering the hidden codes on the cereal boxes.

Lady in The Water is creative, quirky, funny, clean, original, suspensful, weird, scary, and entertaining all rolled into one movie that is worth your time and money no matter how bitter the critics are.

After a nearly 2 year drought of good movies (excluding a few exceptions) there are two movies that I am looking forward to. Both of which ironically are starring Michael Caine. Children of Men and The Prestige. I must say, I am also very hopeful for the next Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. They only have a teaser out so it is hard to judge, but I am crossing my fingers. Oh, and there is always The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian to look forward to.

David Knepprath

4 comments:

Melissa Jo said...

I really like Night's movies they push you to social limits, its very very interesting, and I CANNOT WAIT for Chronicles of Narnia! I am so pumped!-melissa jo
P.s. so Lady in the Water was good?

David Knepprath said...

haha, yes...very good. :)

Mirranda said...

Shyamalan and Caspian - very, VERY excited to see.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Hahahaha...

You make me laugh. Alot.

Dan Franklin said...

Really good job on the review. I agree with you, and was glad to hear about people liking it after so many critics raking it over the coals.