Thursday, April 19, 2007

Shadows of the Supreme Sacrifice

Cho Seung-Hui, an individual whose heart had folded under the pain and suffering of this world, playing the very cards of hate that broke him. He allowed the depravity of this world, which scarred him so deep, to spread like cancer, rampant through his very own actions. Before taking 33 lives, including his own, he uttered the words "I die like Jesus Christ, to inspire generations of the weak and the defenseless people."

Let's get one thing straight.

Jesus Christ took no lives. In love, he gave up his own for the lives of all, including the life of Cho Seung-Hui.

If you are looking for an image of Jesus in the events that unfolded on the campus of Virgina Tech on April 16, look to a man by the name of Liviu Librescu.

According to news accounts quoting students, Mr. Librescu and the class heard shooting in a nearby room. While some students took cover underneath desks and others leaped out from windows, their professor gave his life by blocking the door in order to prevent the gunman from entering.

Liviu Librescu was 75.

An expert in aeronautics

A senior researcher.

An engineer lecturer.

A father.

A husband.

A Romanian.

A Jew.

A Holocaust survivor.

I fight back tears that overwhelm my eyes as I tell this mans story. This man who had experienced the horrors of what this world is capable of. Liviu has been hated, tortured, and lived in the gutters of humanity. Yet he still demonstrated a selfless love by sacrificing his life for the same humanity which treated him like trash.

Why does such sacrifice speak a language, understood like no other, to my soul? Why do I feel such emotion in response to an act, which no other act could evoke?

Liviu's sacrifice paints a raw portrait which appears as a shadow of Jesus' supreme sacrifice.

Liviu Librescu, not Cho Seung-Hui, died like Jesus, inspiring a re-ignition of the blazing passion in at least this one weak and defenseless person to choose love - to choose Jesus.

11 comments:

Tori said...

This was a cool story about the tragedy. Where is your information from? Sarah says you like comments, and didn't know the answer to my question. so I posted a comment ;)

David Knepprath said...

Thanks for the comment Tori! :)

I believe the question was "Will we see Liviu in Heaven?"

Did he have faith in Jesus as his Savior?

If the answer is clearly no, the answer is obvious. (John 14:6 Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.")

But, if it is unclear, and there is the slightest possibility of the answer being yes, one of my favorite verses speaks exactly to this question.

Paul writes on faith:

Romans 14:4 "Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls..."

I believe we are completely removed from the burden of assessing ones heart, as to whether they have salvation or not

Like it or not, thats my answer. I know it probably feels like I am weaseling my way out of a straight answer, but I honestly believe we have no place to try and answer that question.

Matt said...

Thanks for telling that story, for pointing out how one man lived out what Jesus stood for...even though he wasn't a believer (so it seems). Goes to show that God sees and can work through anyone.

This question troubles me and really just pisses me off: How could Cho think he was being like Jesus? Is there something in the church today that communicates to people the image of Jesus that Cho had?

Sarah said...

Here's a question that isn't at all related. What do you think should and shouldn't have been aired in the media? Meaning...were the video clips too much, what about the words that he wrote? Or should we be able to know what is going on "in the mind of a killer"?

David Knepprath said...

Oh, and Tori, my sources are hyperlinked.

Matt, and even besides that, my point is how much natural beauty is in the sacrifice of a life. I think there's some deeper meaning in that.

I think Cho simply fancied himself a martyr, so he likened himself to a well known martyr. Probably some spite to Christians thrown in for good measure as well. He speaks out about Christians at other times. I don't think it was any twisted Christian theology portrayed to him by the church that led to that understanding.

Sarah, the media is going to air whatever makes them money. Does it matter what we think? We all watched it didn't we? ;) I do think there is some importance in understanding the situation, and making it real to people. Ideally it could be understood and prevented.

Matt said...

Yeah...I meant to affirm something along those lines but it didn't come out right. At all. I meant...and this is my personal conviction...that God's Spirit worked in Liviu for him to make that beautiful sacrifice, otherwise he wouldn't have. So we see God in it.

Mirranda said...

Simply Incredible.

Jessi said...

wow...this just elicits a response in me that I can't even put out of my mouth in words. More like a noise of anger, and sadness, and something else involving my heart breaking and beating and moving...

so so powerful.

David Knepprath said...

Thanks Myrrh & Jessi! I got the best writer's high that I have had in a LOOONG time with that one.

Dan Franklin said...

Thanks for telling that story. That's incredible.

PondererGirl said...

I think that part of why Librescu was able to do what he did was because of what he had experienced. We are able to give the love and sacrifice that has been given to us. Or, we are able to give it because of what we've experienced or seen is so compelling that we can't stand by and watch someone else go through something like that. Librescu knew the need because he'd lived it and he couldn't not do anything. We (Westerners) typically do not live in need so we're not compelled to sacrifice for others. I may be saying this all wrong, but I hope you know what I mean.