Saturday, June 30, 2007

Dormía Mucho

Over the last few months I have come to view sleep in a much different light. I always spoke of how much I loved my sleep and it became a bottomless pit in which I would gorge myself, though never being satisfied. I knew there was something wrong when I was consistently getting 8 hours of sleep while still struggling to get out of bed (i.e. consistently arriving 5-10 minutes late to my first class in the morning) and feeling drowsy throughout the day.

Proverbs 20:13 Do not love sleep or you will grow poor; stay awake and you will
have food to spare.

Sleep is something my flesh can really use against me. A slumber can provide much needed rest for the body, but it can also be a temptation to feed ones selfishness. For me it had become a simple solution to worries and a selfish escape from dealing with the weight of responsibilities, the needs of relationships.

Proverbs 19:15 Laziness brings on deep sleep, and the shiftless man goes hungry.
My view of sleep has shifted from a selfish pleasure to being a physical requirement (Not to say it's not still enjoyable!). But, this shift was not as simple as telling myself to life by a new view on sleep. I have been able to experience a new life through prayer and seeking God's wisdom on how to deal with that which I was trying to escape.

Proverbs 13:4 The sluggard craves and gets nothing, but the desires of the
diligent are fully satisfied.
There is more to it then simply not doing whats wrong. I have been experiencing a better way to live. It has a lot to do with being passionate about life, ready to let God use you, and excited to see how God will.

Colossians 3: 23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for
the Lord, not for men...
It has been rewarding to be experiencing victory over this stumbling block. What this has looked like tangibly in my life is being able to arrive to class 30 minutes early and having considerably more energy during the day, even when I am consistently getting 6-7 hours of sleep. Though, I am still a work in progress. My goal is to get up at 6:00 to spend time mediating on God's word and in focused prayer.

DK

6 comments:

MaryandLindy said...

wow, this is a good point. Lots of people love sleep.. I'm one of them. It's freeing to know that God is bigger than sleep and that He will give you rest. I'm not saying one should never sleep (believe me, it's not fun) but that there are so many great things we miss out on because of sleep. This past week at camp I didn't get in bed until 2 most nights just to get up at 6:45 for a leaders' meeting. God sustained me..

I guess I just really like what you have to say here... that's all

-Lindy

David Knepprath said...

Very true Lindy! Thanks! I like the real life application too. :)

Simply put, we live in a bent world, and the act of sleeping is not any more/less immune to corruption by our sinful nature then something such as the act of eating. My warning is to guard against sleep being an idol in your life. I have experienced it, and it is not the least bit satisfying.

Mirranda said...

Everything but the picture is inspiring.

Matt said...

I am really really tired right now. I'm at work. I pretty much just stay up for a long time as a job. And so I say that sleep is a wonderful thing, and that one should get as much of it as one needs if at all possible. I don't feel bad at all about sleeping a long time, especially after working a night shift, because I know there's a greater chance that I'll be a jerk to or just plain weird around people if I don't let myself sleep right...and part of sleeping right is not being woken up at ridiculous hours by an alarm. That's a recipe for disaster right there.

Maybe I'm just a whiner or a heathen or tired, but I don't like where this could go. Although I do appreciate that so much sleep can just ruin your day...sleep takes time, which sucks. But speedy ol caffiene just doesn't replace it.

Now if you were to suggest a siesta plan, where you go to sleep whenever, rise with the sun(ish), then take a nap sometime during midday...now that's a plan that I'd like. I think there's a lot to be said for rising with the sun and taking naps in the middle of the day.

Here's the question that I think governs this discussion: What's more important: quality of experience or quantity of experience? If quality, then you'll invest in sleep. If quantity, then you won't. I think that works as a general rule with exceptions, one of which I think Lindy experienced.

Not to say that God won't give you rest in a way that bypasses sleep...He does...but that's not a liscence to be reckless about it. And it is an issue of recklessness. Tired drivers are just as dangerous as drunk drivers...

I don't want to argue too much, so I'll end by saying it's an evil if it becomes an idol, for sure. And this very morning I will sacrifice my sleep to go to church and a wedding because some things are just more important than immediate gratification of the desire to sleep.

Of course, I will be taking a nap before doing any of those things...

David Knepprath said...

I don't think you are in any danger of arguing. It sounds like we are in complete agreement. I do appreciate your comments though, I think it balances out my posts well.

It's sounds like I probably should have put a more obvious disclaimer that this is a personal lesson God has taught me in my life, and not necessarily common to all people. I just wanted to post it for those who can relate to my situation.

Bryan Baker said...

a few people come to mind after reading this post (myself being one of them). sleep is a false escape into dreams. a time when worries melt away, and the morning seems so much better until you're reminded of what you haven't dealt with...

interesting that i recently wrote a post about getting enough sleep, mainly b/c i see so many people around me who stay up too late and sacrifice sleep, but on this end of the spectrum is those of us who roll over 8 times before we finally roll out of bed and arrive late to just about everything that starts our day.

sleep is interesting. i'll be thinking more about it today.