Thursday, June 07, 2007

"For the First Time"

Becca, a friend of mine who has been going downtown to do Nightstrike the last couple months, wrote an awesome blog about her experience. I have written a lot about Nightstrike as well, but nothing that conveys God's work underneath the Burnside Bridge on Friday night quite like this:
"For the first time in my life I was in your will. I was feeding your sheep
and clothing the naked. For the first time I stared into the face of Jesus and
loved Him. Not with words or tongue but with actions and truth. For the first
time I've deliberately done the right thing. I let go of my fears and burdens of
the day. I washed someones feet and prayed for him. And the look on his face was
life changing. For the first time in my life I see.

Arise and see what the Lord has done, what he wants to do for you. Wake
up and seek out Gods plan for your life. Look around and see something other
than yourself. Realize what this life is about. It's not about life, it's about
love. It's not about things, it's about people. It's not about you, it's about
Him. Wake up and see for the first time in your life."
God has worked miracles in my life through this ministry. Intentionally loving people. Loving, simply because they are people. People, created in God's image.

Dan Franklin used a powerful analogy today at a Bible Study that I can not help but apply to this. (The following has slight embellishments courtesy of yours truly.)

The powerful ocean breeze fills the recently risen sails. With the boom firmly tied in place, the wind rips at the mainsail testing the stability of the keel, though never overwhelming it, as the bow slices the waves which seem to slap the hull in disgust. The sailboat is now taken at unimaginable speeds to seemingly impossible places had it been left solely to the powerlessly pathetic natural state of the idle sailboat being tossed to and fro by the unforgiving power of the ocean.

By acting to put myself in a position of service (raising the sail), firmly grounded in the truth of God's Word (securing the boom), the Spirit (rushing wind) has fostered a seemingly unimaginable love and impossible understanding had I been left solely to my own depraved helpless state.

Thank you Lord for the doors You have opened and the lessons You have taught.

5 comments:

Mirranda said...

Brilliant! It's like that scene at the beginning of the voyage of the dawn treader. They are looking at the picture and suddenly they can smell the salt and feel the wind and taste the sea. I read your paragraphs and I am tossed by the ocean and splased by the sea.
[smile]

Mirranda said...

Oh! And EXCELLENT job at strengthening the connection in your metaphor by repeating a key phrase. ;)

David Knepprath said...

I sense a hint of sarcasm in the second comment. However, the first was wonderful! Thanks.

Ian said...

Briliant! This really made me think!
Thank you!

take care

gasper

Becca said...

Kinda wierd (and sort of embarassing) seeing my stuff on something other than my myspace blog. But cool at the same time. ;P

Becca