Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Bride

Who knew spending a weekend celebrating such an exciting moment in someone else's live could be so enjoyable, even thrilling? Selfishness creeps into our lives so unsuspectingly, so much so that I even surprised myself by finding such joy and satisfaction through witnessing the joy of another. What an opportunity I had as the best man at my brothers wedding. To be standing mere feet away from the young bride at the altar, staring into her eyes as she gazed into the eyes of her groom. Such joy, such confidence, such hope, such exhilaration, and yet such peace. Her gaze was breathtaking.

All my discomforts, the suffocating heat underneath the endless layers of my tuxedo, my aching feet after standing for hours through rehearsals, last minute preparations, and endless pictures (a 5 mile run that morning probably didn't help), and stressing about all my responsibilities as best man - all of these vanished. I was perfectly content, simply being in the presence of the beautiful bride. Her gaze was breathtaking.

Yet I can not help but thinking, shouldn't this be our heavenward gaze toward God?

Again and again in Scripture the followers of Christ, the church, are referred to as Jesus bride (ex. 1 Cor. 11 and Eph 5:25). My heart leaps when I dwell on the bounties of love found in Jesus. If when you gaze on your god, or even your Jesus, and you don't experience this joy, keep searching and dig deeper! I invite you to know my Jesus, to stand at the altar, listen to the words. Through the new covenant - in the same way as a bride and groom are being brought together as one during the marriage covenant - we are given the opportunity to be reunited with God, through faith in Jesus. Today, in such contrast to my life two years ago, I stand before God with such joy, such confidence, such hope, such exhilaration, and yet such peace.

4 comments:

MaryandLindy said...

Well said. Our God is so good to love us in such a tangible and enduring way. We really do find the source of all pure love in God. I'm glad you got to see that first hand through your brother's wedding.

-mary

PondererGirl said...

When they are like that, nothing beats a wedding!!

Bryan Baker said...

great dave.

Melany said...

Great truths, David. This reminds me of a poem I wrote a few years ago. I think I will try to find it back, and maybe post it...