Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A Scary Step (With Exciting Possibility's)

Thank you all (PondererGirl) for your patience.

A couple weeks ago, I went down to Nightstrike as usual (Something I have blogged about extensively). For the last 10 months I have left my comfy well paying job promptly at 5:00 pm on Friday to meet up with friends and head downtown with a heart to serve the homeless, the broken, the lost, and the marginalized of Portland. There was something much different about this particular Friday. For the first time, of the last 4 years of my working life, I was officially unemployed. My plans strewn and my future unclear. Unnerving, indeed.

I arrived at Liberation Church, joined the P.B. and J. assembly line, and started slinging peanut butter. I struck up a conversation with the current intern with Bridgetown Ministries. She gave up her summer to orchestrate B-Town Kids (similar in spirit to Nightstrike under the Burnside Bridge, but aimed at impoverished children in low-income apartment complexes). As we were talking my mind started drifting back to an impossible thought that has been rolling around in my brain since I first started doing Nightstrike regularly; to become more involved with Bridgetown Ministries then only as a volunteer on Friday nights. I swiftly push this thought out of my mind. I have already mulled over this possibility hundreds of times. My priority at this point in life is firstly school, and to pay for school, secondarily work....

My mind began to race; the gears began turning, my brain scrambling, questioning, devising, calculating, searching, and my heart longing. I spoke with Marshall, the director of Bridgetown Ministries, that night. Was it possible?

A couple weeks have passed with the whole situation in limbo. I was finally able to get together for a few hours with Marshall to discuss the whole situation. I have tried to refrain from talking too much about the situation because I didn't want to create high expectations for myself. But at this point, all lights are green.

Exciting? You better believe it. Scary? No doubt about it. I will essentially be an urban missionary intern. Quite different from the steady cushy cubicle job I'm used to. Will people be willing to support me so that I can pay the bills? That is part of the leap of faith I am stepping out in.

"In your presence God, I'm completely satisfied"

1 comment:

PondererGirl said...

David,
That's totally cool! How exciting for you. When will you start?