Monday, September 17, 2007

Summer Reading

I did not want to admit summer was coming to an end. However, classes start next Monday. So without further delay, my summer reading post inspired by Dan Franklin's and Melany's post by the same name... and I would have read more if I wasn't in Spanish class up to 16 hours a week for 10 weeks of the summer.

The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis: An allegorical tale in which ghosts of the dead struggle with living a new life that is true and complete or continuing to settle for an incomplete life by making themselves a slave to vanity and self deception. It strikes close to home - in much the same way as his Screwtape Letters - because of Lewis' brilliant insight into human nature. If you have read some of his more popular work like Chronicles of Narnia, Mere Christianity, and Screwtape Letters, there is no reason to stop there!







Sex is Not The Problem (Lust Is) by Joshua Harris: Short, quick, and to the point. This book is a must for everyone (and I don't even particularly like the author)! Our culture is so self serving/lust driven it is well worth the time and effort to understand our sexuality and why God made us sexual beings. It is a pretty revolutionary book because it is a topic the Church shies away from and culture so misunderstands.








The Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer: The book is composed of short chapters, each of which zero in on a brief over of a single characteristic of God. I feel like he creates a reverence for God that has been lost, at least that was lost in me. From the self sufficiency to the perfect wisdom, from the faithfulness to the goodness of God, my mind and heart was stretched. My upward gaze is now one of awe and reverence. I had put God into a box that my mind could comprehend, limiting him to my feeble understanding.







Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI: The back of the book sleeve caught my attention in Borders with the following quote: "This book is my personal search for the face of the Lord". I was curious what the "father" of the Catholic church thought of the person of Jesus. It turns out the requirements to be a pope must be pretty stringent, because this guy knows the Scripture inside and out. What is the significance and relevance of each of Jesus three temptations in the desert? What can we glean from the Lord's prayer? What is at the heart of Jesus parables? All of these, along with the rest of Jesus life, is studied in great detail.






The Forgotten Ways by Alan Hirsch: This book has been a radical eye opener in how I look at the Church and Ministry in general. It has sparked a lot of thought on how to weed out all the part of culture that bog down the Gospel. He contrasts the "pre"institutional church as portrayed in the Bible and the underground church in China with that of the institutional denominationalized Christianity of the western world. Very interesting stuff if you are the type interested in sociology and people movements.






--- Still in Progress ---

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy: Tolstoy still doesn't match up to Dostoevsky in my opinion, but it is captivating. He captures authentic humanity in his characters, intimately grasping and conveying emotion. However, it is long, and my mind is fleeting. I keep getting the urge to jump into other books. I will finish it eventually.











--- Next Up ---

The Gospel According To Starbucks by Leonard Sweet: I'm really interested in the experiential emphasis of our culture (you don't just go to Starbucks for a coffee, it's the whole sensory experience) and the title is great!

The Pursuit of God
by A.W. Tozer: I can't get enough Tozer after Knowledge of the Holy.

Las Cornicas de Narnia
by C.S. Lewis: Yo necesito praticar mi Espanol mas!

1 comment:

Mirranda said...

Finish it eventually?!? You're killing me, David Andrew Jebediah Knepprath.