Saturday, December 08, 2007

The Pursuit of God: Apprehending God

Continuing on into chapter 4 in my series of quotes from A.W. Tozer's The Pursuit of God:
"Personality and fatherhood carry with them the idea of the possibility of personal acquaintance. This is admitted, I say, in theory, but for millions of Christians, nevertheless, God is no more real then He is to the non-Christian. They go through life trying to love an ideal and be loyal to a mere principle..." (Pg. 48)
Tozer gets to the heart of why so many people of the world view Christians as unChristians. So often we live a life that is no different then a non-Christian. It's because of our lack of faith and communion with God in tangible ways. We relegate God to a vague "spiritual" corner of our life, instead of a holistic tireless pursuit after Him. If your interested in further thoughts on this note, see my post UnChristian: An Explanation of a Generation.
"The Bible assumes as a self-evident fact that men can know God with at least the same degree of immediacy as they know any other person or thing that comes within the field of their experience. The same terms are used to express the knowledge of God as are used to express knowledge of physical things. "O taste and see that the Lord is Good" (Psalm 34:8) "All thy garments smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia, out of the ivory palaces (45:8). "My sheep hear my voice" (John 10:27). Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God" (Matthew 5:8)." (Pg 48-49)
I lived the first 18 years of my life full of Christian religiosity, never knowing God. Full of intellectual head knowledge, but never experiencing him. As Keels said last night, I'm not thankful that a god exists, I am thankful THIS God exists! I am thankful that our God is one who can be known and experienced through an intimate relationship with Him.

---
Chapter 1: Following Hard After God
Chapter 2: The Blessedness of Possessing Nothing
Chapter 3: Removing the Veil
Chapter 4: Apprehending God
Chapter 5: The Universal Presence
Chapter 8: Restoring the Creator-Creation Relation

3 comments:

Melany said...

This is so very true. I think I would greatly benefit from reading this book... I find that this semester I have struggled with grasping the spiritual reality of what I believe to be true. It comes down to this question: Am I pursuing knowledge about God for the sake of my own spirituality, or am I pursuing knowledge of God for the sake of deepening my relationship with Him? Is my knowledge of God merely intellectual, or is it also experiential, gained from daily walking and talking with Him?

Melany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan Franklin said...

It's always so great to hear about how you are growing.
Congrats on the Ron Paul progress also.