Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Heath Ledger

Hollywood lost a very talented actor today. I was especially anticipating his role as the Joker in The Dark Night.

But, I find it interesting that people make such a fuss about the death of someone who is placed on a pedestal for looking good, when there are 1,000's of children dieing a day from curable diseases in Africa (Or even that we take the time to educate ourselves on the lives of Hollywood celebrities, but not on the sex-trafficking of children!...I'm guilty of this, not sex-trafficking, but of being ignorant. Just thought I would clarify that.)

It's important to be honest with ourselves about why we are feeling compassion.

There is a striking quote in Beyond the Gates (Shooting Dogs) by a reporter. She is wrestling with the compassion she felt for the human suffering she had witnessed in Bosnia, but now in Rwanda, she feels nothing; simply because of the color of their skin. This is brutally honest.

It's important to be honest about how selfish we can be with our compassion, because this is at direct odds with true compassion.


Not that Heath Ledger's life is any less valuable (on the contrary, it is of priceless value!); but I can't help wishing that he would of sent some of the drugs he OD'd on to Africa, and saved a couple hundred lives, instead of wasting one.

2 comments:

Wandering Home said...

Or possibly if some one would have taken the time to tell him he was worth something other then just a pretty face his choices may have been different. I realize what you are saying and I do believe the deaths and lives of many others are shadowed by those that live in the spot light, but celebrity deaths and bad choices don't bother me any less because others also suffer. Just as it breaks my heart to see a child suffer at the hands of an abusive parent or any person die senselessly regardless of societal status, there is still a sense of sadness that covers the incident... I know that a struggle of mine has always been to look more harshly at the rich then the poor (which in our society seems backwards). Many times when something like this happens, although there a HUGE tragedies that have ravaged our world, I am reminded that all of us were created by the same Maker who doesn't grieve differently no matter which child is lost

David Knepprath said...

Amen sister! You have good words sister, and I totally agree. I think I myself was more trying to reconcile things that didn't line up in my own heart, I didn't mean to show any less compassion for Mr. Ledger.