Thursday, January 17, 2008

SOC376: Social Change

Oh man! The gears are turning, the juices are flowing, I'm getting excited!

I'm about halfway into the first book for my Sociology class this term, A Short History of Progress. This truly is a fascinating read on the depravity of human nature (aka. we screw things up time and time again because of our selfishness). I also read an excerpt from Lifelines From Our Past on Kinship Societies, and a short essay by Jared Diamond called "The Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race". Anyone want to take a shot at what that might be? Later in the term we will be reading (I'm not going to lie, I already started it) PowerDown, which is a forecast of society by taking a brutal look at some of the crises stacked against us.

The class is a hybrid. Half in the classroom and half online. There is a lot of potential for great dialog on the discussion board. It will also be a good excuse to process what I am turning over in my brain and then repost it on my blog as well. So keep an eye out for that in the coming weeks!

2 comments:

Wandering Home said...

That's awesome you are so excited for your class and my WORD you read a lot lol! I thought I was bad but you entirely beat me!

David Knepprath said...

Haha, ya I'm am normally only reading about 5 or 6 book at a time. You making it down to Nightstrike tonight!?