Friday, February 15, 2008

2 Timothy 2:25-26

200+ at Nightstrike! What a night!

My church is meticulously moving through Paul's second letter to Timothy over the course of 4-5 months. I am really excited about this series because 1 Timothy is one of my favorite books of the Bible, which I have logically concluded makes 2 Timothy one of my second favorite books of the Bible. Since we started over a month ago, I have read 2 Timothy through 15-20 time (plus a few extra in Spanish). One verse in particular stands out as I am exposed to many different forms of ministry living and going to school in downtown Portland, a largely anti-Christian culture.

I see everything from street preachers shouting "repent or hell" on campus to tract distributors walking around waiting for someone to grab it out of their hand. And then I read Paul's instructions to live a pure life, flee evil, and that "Those who oppose him (being a servant of the Lord's) he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will." (2 Timothy 2:25-26)

My prayer is for the strength to flee the evil desires of youth, to pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace. That I may have a pure heart, to be an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to our Master, prepared to do any good work. So that I may have open eyes and wisdom to gently instruct and liberate the captives of our fallen world; not with a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline.

2 comments:

Doulos said...

Nicely said.

theanalyst said...

Amen, brother!