Sunday, April 20, 2008

Jesus Is Getting Kicked Out From Undeneath the Burnside Bridge

From my friend Samuel:
The city of Portland has declared underneath the Burnside Bridge to be an "Illegal Campground." A notice of 13 days has been given to any and all sleeping underneath the bridge to move. All sleeping underneath the bridge have until April 26 to move.

On the notices posted underneath the bridge a phone number was listed, as well as the following: "Shelter is available through several nonprofit service agencies. For more information about shelter and other services contact Transition Projects, 503-823-4930."

I contacted Transition Projects (aka TPI). The wait list time period is 6 weeks to get an available bed in a shelter. And that bed is only for a few nights. And there are not enough shelters or beds to house the amount of people who are now staying underneath the bridge.

I am currently working in unison with several other individuals to try and remedy this situation. I am getting in touch with Mayor Tom Potter. Another individual is getting in touch with politician and mayor candidate Sam Adams, as well as Luis Pulau.

If no solution can be reached by April 26 I am prepared to camp underneath the bridge.

Matt 25:40
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
NIV
I perceive this as Portland's attempt to solve the "homeless problem", but they are only addressing the symptom and not the disease. They are not addressing the root of the problem (sin, or even from a secular view, resources required for proper reintegration). They are merely pushing their problem onto someone else. THIS I believe is the issue that needs to be raised! This could be, so to speak, our battlecry - the irresponsibility of the city's actions.

Isaiah 58:

6 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?

7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe him,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?

8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness
will go before you,
and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.

9 Then you will call, and the LORD will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.
"If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk,

10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.

11 The LORD will guide you always;
he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like a spring whose waters never fail.

12 Your people will rebuild the ancient ruins
and will raise up the age-old foundations;
you will be called Repairer of Broken Walls,
Restorer of Streets with Dwellings.

If you are interested in getting involved in this fight for justice, please contact me immediately!

3 comments:

Elisa Lehto said...

Hahaha you're welcome.
Thanks for reading through my forever long ramblings.
And thanks for writing this!! I've been sharing it with a lot of my friends and we've been praying a lot about the whole situation.

David Knepprath said...

Thanks! If anything happens it will have to be grounded in prayer! That's so cool knowing other people are praying.

'Tish said...

Hey bro, I just read about this, I'll be praying for every one trying to work with this, and pray for a good solution and or outcome to whatever that is to happen. I can't do much from 457384574854 miles away on the other side of the planet, but if I was there in Portland, I would be right beside ya. Hope all is well, and God be with you all. Peace.