Thursday, April 03, 2008

Race for the Roses

Over the last two months I committed myself to running 3 times a week, even if that means I have to squeeze in a run at 11:00 pm. It feels amazing to be back in the routine of running regularly! To help with the motivation I signed up for a 5k race in Portland this Sunday - Race for the Roses. I'm also mulling over doing the Portland Marathon in October. 

I did an intense interval workout on a killer hill yesterday and was planning to do a nice easy run this morning. The sun was shining bright, the air was fresh, and an Ame
ricano was flowing through my veins. I ended up on the waterfront (best place to catch the sun in the morning with all the high-rises.) and found myself pacing a guy right in front of me. I caught up to him and asked if I could run with him for awhile. 

His name was Jim and we got to talking about life. He's doing the Boston Marathon in a couple weeks. He got a bachelors in Psychology, a masters in English, ended up in I.T., and is still paying off the loans 15 years later. Next thing I knew it was 9:00, I was on the wrong side of the river 2 miles down, and our course parted as he headed home. If your not a runner - it is much harder to set a good pace running by yourself.

I still had a 3 mile run home and needed to take a shower before my barrage of Thursday classes started at 10:00. I made it to class on time and it made for a glorious start to the day!

I am absolutely in love with my latest pair of Pegasus' 

No comments: