Friday, August 22, 2008

Turn to The Original

I re-cracked The Four Loves open in hopes that it would provide direction in my struggle for a right definition of earthly directed love and Godly directed love. I knew C.S. Lewis would not fail me. The final chapter Charity really helped me sort things out. I will leave you with one last quote that really stood out to me.

In the final chapter Lewis explores and establishes the need to have a right relationship with our Heavenly Beloved over our earthly beloved. After doing so he then directs his thoughts to how earthly love will translate in Heaven.
"In Heaven there will be no anguish and no duty of turning away from our earthly Beloveds. First, because we shall have turned already; from the portraits to the Original, from the rivulets to the Fountain, from the creatures He made lovable to Love Himself. But secondly, because we shall find them all in Him. By loving Him more than them we shall love them more than we now do"

3 comments:

ET said...

I am excited to be reading Four Loves now! Its very meaty, but I will chew through! Grr!

Matt said...

given that that's a future reality, what are the implications for how we love others now?

David Knepprath said...

Glad you are enjoying it Elena! It does require a little bit more chewing then some of C.S. Lewis' other works. But your a tiger, you shall prevail!

Matt, Read the book on that one. :) That's the whole point of the 4th chapter.