Thursday, December 11, 2008

Link-O-Rama 12/10/08

Finals are over. First order of business: Clean up the slew of tabs that are bursting out of my browser.
  • Some kids in my apartments were selling smallish green peppers (a bundle of 15+ for a buck!) for their family. I figured they were spicy, but I unwittingly sliced up a whole one into my burrito. Turns out they are Serrano Peppers. 5x hotter then Jalepenos (according to the official Scoville Units of Heat).
  • Are you telling me Snow Leopard could bring new life to my aging laptop? My Tiger (OS 10.4) built MacBook handled the upgrade to Leopard (OS 10.5) beautifully (And I still haven't upgraded my RAM from 1GB to 2GB). The idea that I could upgrade across 3 releases of an operating system and actually see performance increase completely confounds me having been raised on Windows (In my old lexicon, New Operating System = Hardware Obsolete.)
  • Over half adults play video games. The most intruiging/sad/scary quotes from the article: "She plays every day, sometimes past midnight, to escape and relax and feel a sense of accomplishment." and "Real life can suck, and games are designed not to," she said. "That's why it's important for most people."
  • Ever wonder what the life of a cat looks like through their eyes? Enter Cat Cam. Some of the photos in the gallery are just hilarious.
  • Eiry and slightly depressing photo set: The Remains of Detroit.
  • Pirates are kick ass. Pirate history is even better. Read up on the latest findings on the adventures of Blackbeard.
  • During my old cubicle days at LSI Logic/On Semiconductor the joints in my hands would always ache from typing on cold days. Enter USB powered cute bear gloves. Problem solved. If I still worked in a cubicle, I would totally sport these bad boys.
  • Oil executives predict $1 gas in 2009. I plead with you, do not let this lull you into a apathetic complacency. We must continue restructing our society to be more sustainable. Lets do it when we have the luxury of not being in utter desperation. I don't have a lifetime of wisdom under my belt yet, but I know enough about humanity to know it is way to easy to act destructively and irrationaly in times of desperation.
  • The neck arteries of obese children and teens look more like those of 45-year-olds, according to research presented at the American Heart Association’s Scientific Sessions 2008. (ScienceDaily.com). Kids better get jumping the rope! ...sidenote: I just added Science Daily to my RSS feed. Great site!

2 comments:

ET said...

What an ecclectic collection of tabs! Good stuff.

Sarah said...

I'd just be careful about saying pirates are "kick ass" considering what's going on in the news recently...isn't much different then saying the same thing about terrorists.