Wednesday, October 28, 2009

"You live there? Why?"

My wife and I get this question all the time. We live on the corner of 188th and Burnside in the heart of Rockwood. Why would we live in an apartment complex that has a police officer assigned to it? Why would we live in an apartment complex where there has been 3 homicides in the last 10 months? Or better yet, why would we live in an apartment complex that has the ugliest kitchen cabinets you have ever seen!?

It's pretty easy to describe "what" we are doing here. It's a little bit harder to get at the heart of "why" we are doing it.

My brother-in-law recommended a video titled "Lukewarm and Loving It!". Elena and I were about 10 minutes in when I knew this was going to be a great message to capture "why" we live at Barberry Village.

I encourage you to watch and reflect on the prayer at the end:


He has a book on a similar note to this sermon: Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God.

4 comments:

Scott said...

i think that what you guys are doing there and why - is at the heart of the gospel of the kingdom. we praise God for you.

Scott said...

They aren't the ugliest kitchen cabinets! I've seen worse... ;-)

But seriously - what you are doing is really amazing... keep up the good work!

peace said...

paint em white.
ps my daughter is moving in to that complex....didn't realize how bad it was. i gave her some links to your pages.

DK said...

@Peace,

The complex isn't that bad once you get connected to others here in the community. My wife and I have been here for a year and despite the downsides, we love our neighbors and really enjoy it here.

I hope your daughter can make it to the next community meal! We are having one Saturday night. It's a great opportunity to get to know others in the community who want to see positive change happen.

Feel free to email me: david.knepprath@gmail.com