Tuesday, January 25, 2011

People Who Inspire Me

 After participating in NaNoWriMo I became self-aware of the need to identify creative wells that I can draw from.

I wanted to share a few of these that stimulate different senses for me. I would broadly categorize these as visual, musical, literary, and intellectual. Though you can see how each easily splashes over into other categories.

Please share who (or what) function as your "creative wells". Any that engage different sense then what I have listed?
 
Here are four individuals who inspire me, in no particular order:

Dieter Ram (visual) - I am drawn by the thoughtful and funactional simplicity in his design. Sure fire way to light me up is to read over his 10 rules of design, allow my eyes to wander on his designs, and just reflect on the objects in my environment.

Trent Reznor (musical) - More then any other music, his music transports me to another place. I understand his music isn't for everyone, but if you want to give it a shot, I encourage you to download his free instrumental album Ghosts (especially if you enjoyed the soundtrack to The Social Network). Brilliant work of audible art that I have regularly listened to since it was released 3 years ago.

Dostoevsky (literary) - When I read Crime and Punishment my senior year in high school it ignited something inside of me. But so much more then just a passion for literature, it sparked a burning desire to learn, understand, and explore the human experience. Dostoevsky, more then any other author I have read, evokes such raw and vivid human experiences. And it's so much more then reading, it's analysing and studying, piecing together the puzzle pieces of meaning and truth in life.

Radio Lab (intellectual) - This is technically (at least) two people who inspire me. Radio Lab is easily my favorite show on NPR. Each episode is rich in ideas, full of aural textures, and exposes you to different perspective on the whole human experience. I posted about the episode titled Limits. My preferred listening method is the podcast through iTunes.

1 comment:

Samuel Nagel said...

Radio Lab is TIGHT!!!!!