Monday, February 14, 2011

Lesson from the Children's Nursery

 This sappy reflection seems appropriate for Valentines Day.

On Sunday morning I volunteered for the first time in the nursery during Colossae's gathering.

A one year old girl was crying her eyes out because her whole world fell apart - Mommy and Daddy are gone. They'll be back in an hour, but she doesn't know that.

One of the other regular volunteers tried in vain to calm her. She would defiantly squirm and run to the gate at the door, crying out and reaching over with her tiny arm for salvation. She was yearning that someone would take her back to mommy and daddy.

Finally, I was asked to hold her because someone knew that she seems to calm down whenever a guy holds her. At first I was perplexed, but anything that would silent those shrieks, I figured it was worth the shot for the sake of my ears.

As soon as I embraced her in my arms I felt her whole body transform. Her spine relaxed while her tiny arms clung around me. Within a minute she was still and quiet.

It's as if she had an innate sense, as if she was created to trust and have faith that in a mans embrace she would be secure. She could relax, be at peace, knowing that her world was going to be okay.

There is a purity in her trust of mans embrace. A purity that this world won't ever be able to live up to. As she grows in this broken world she will learn the need to "Be wise as serpents—and harmless as doves." (Matthew 10:16).

All the same, there is a beauty and a great hope expressed in her innate sense of trust. A trust we all seem to yearn for; are even created for.

No comments: