Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Why You Must Listen to Mumford & Sons

Reason #9 - Thistle and Weeds


By now, the songs more or less interpret themselves because we have enough context from the previous tracks. I'll provide some lite commentary on the lyrics below, giving context from other songs in the album which speak to similiar themes.

Thistle and Weeds
By Mumford and Sons

In the opening 2 versus we see a very common theme from the album - a raw confrontation with the realities of pain, doubt, confusion, despair, and isolation in life.

Spare me your judgements and spare me your dreams,
Cause recently mine have been tearing my seams,
I sit alone in this winter clarity which clouds my mind,
Alone in the wind and the rain you left me,
It's getting dark darling, too dark to see,
And I'm on my knees, and your faith in shreds, it seems.

Corrupted by the simple sniff of riches blown,
I know you have felt much more love than you've shown,
And I'm on my knees and the water creeps to my chest.

In the next verse one gets the sense that, to some extent, all of this suffering is a result of ones own choices - on chooses to wander in the thistle and weeds of life. In contrast, there is choice of good seed - a design or an alignment to life, a good and right way humanity was made to live (From the title track Sight No More).

Also, make special note of the call to "look over your hill". Generally speaking it's an encouragement to look past the current hardship and suffering to a future where things are better. We will be given much deeper context to this in the remaining tracks on the album.

But plant your hope with good seeds,
Don't cover yourself with thistle and weeds,
Rain down, rain down on me,
Look over your hills and be still,
The sky above us shoots to kill,
Rain down, rain down on me.

Now we arrive at the most chilling part of the song. It is a cry of defiance, a resistance to succumbing to the thistle and weeds of this world. This battle cry is very evocative of the refrain in The Cave.

But I will hold on
I will hold on hope

There's more to life than the physical. A wholeness to life springs forth when one chooses to submits to Truth and abides in the Order of creation.

I begged you to hear me, there's more than flesh and bones,
Let the dead bury their dead, they will come out in droves,
But take the spade from my hands and fill in the holes, you've made.

But plant your hope with good seeds,
Don't cover yourself with thistle and weeds,
Rain down, rain down on me.

Explore the others Reasons Why You Must Listen to Mumford and Sons:

Reason #1: Sigh No More
Reason #2: The Cave
Reason #3: Winter Winds
Reason #4: Roll Away Your Stone
Reason #5: White Blank Page
Reason #6: I Gave You All
Reason #7: Little Lion Man
Reason #8: Timshel

No comments: